Gratitude is an emotion of connectedness, which reminds us we are part of a larger universe with all living things. (Melanie Greenberg)
Two or three weeks back, a friend and neighbour brought over a deck of cards with a beautiful horse picture on the back of each card. She shuffled the deck, and asked me to pick a card that might be part of my path. The card I turned up was “Gratitude”.
Since that day, I have been thinking a lot more than usual about the things I am grateful for. There are many—my family, my friends and co-workers at Essentia, my pets, the roof over my head, the food I eat, peace, living things, good health, the beauty around me, the work and writing I do, the books I read, the music I listen to, my education, conversations of all kinds with customers and others throughout the day, and the amazing experience of being alive.
As we approach the Thanksgiving weekend, you may want to reflect upon what you are grateful for in your life. As you reflect, you may find the Gratitude Quotes (below) a catalyst for your own thoughts and feelings. (The quotes were compiled by Melanie Greenberg). Count your blessings!
1. “Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.” (Marcel Proust)
2. “We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.” (Thornton Wilder)
3. As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. (John F. Kennedy)
4, At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. (Albert Schweitzer)
5, The deepest craving of human nature is the need to be appreciated. (WIlliam James)
6. “Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.” (Oprah Winfrey)
7. He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has.” (Epictetus)
Someone close to my heart has been heard to remark, “Every day’s a birthday! Thankfully, many others as well champion sentiments of gratitude. Happy Thanksgiving!(Photo from Cornucopia Cookie site! http://cookiemonstermama.blogspot.ca/2012/08/cookie-15-coffee-cornucopias.html)