Just like any holiday, we all tend to buy new decorations, and seasonal items, but this year why not take into consideration some of these green tips when doing so! Just maybe you will reduce your spending and find new appreciation in the old items while taking part in a greener Christmas than last year!
1. Re-use, Re-use, re-use! If it isn’t broke, why replace it! Christmas decorations and tree ornaments can be fixed quite easily if they have lost a string or some ribbon. be a handy man and fix it! You’ll feel like you accomplished something and saved the environment by not throwing the item out!
2. If your lights aren’t working when you plug them in, give them a good shake, it could just be a short circuit! As an example, my sister had a string of star lights that weren’t on and she gave them a wiggle and wa-la they lit up again! Doesn’t hurt to try!
3. If you have to purchase new Christmas Lights find ones that are low watt lights. You’ll save on your hydro bill and help save some electricity.
4. Pass on an unused item, or lightly used if you choose. (Just because you don’t like it, or it just doesn’t suit you doesn’t mean you sis or friend won’t adore it!)
5. Cook your Turkey or Ham in a reusable roasting pot. Opt to avoid tin foil pan that can be reused, yes, but only for a year or two at most.
6. Car Pool to a Christmas Party. Save a life and put down your keys, it is Christmas and this time of year calls for drinking and lots of festivities! Take charge and make a car pool sheet at work a week before your party!
7. Take a moment to reflect on how great your life really is. Your health, your friends, your family, your work, your school, your pets etc. There is something that is great in your life!!! Taking a time out, can give you renewed energy to look at your life and plan for a better future. You could have more energy to plan for a healthier and greener future if you liked too!
8. Bake some sugar cookies for your friends as a present and, or make something from scratch!
9. Purchase a Potted Christmas Tree and decorate it, and then plant it in your yard or have them pick it up and then they will look after it till next year!.