I’m a huge fan of wine – as is most of the world, no doubt! There’s nothing like a chilled glass of white wine on a hot day, or a bit of red wine to get me in the mood for some “romance a la carte”!
Despite the bad rep most alcohol has, red wine is a drink that deserves its place in your life and close to your heart. Even if you don’t drink it every day, having a few glasses of red wine every week is the key to good health.
Why is that?
- Fights Heart Disease — Red Wine contains resveratrol, an antioxidant that will help to prevent cholesterol from accumulating in your arteries. It will also produce more good cholesterol, which boosts your heart health. The tannins in wine also help to protect against other heart problems, particularly the wines from Sardinia and the southwestern regions of France.
- Reduces Risk of Heart Attack or Stroke – Both heart attacks and strokes are caused by cholesterol-clogged arteries. Boosting the good HDL cholesterol even moderately will lower your bad LDL cholesterol drastically, clearing out your arteries and allowing your blood to flow easily. You can decrease your risk of heart attack and stroke by up to 30% with just one glass of wine a day.
- Fights Diabetes – One of the benefits of wine is its ability to keep your blood sugar controlled. A glass of red wine a day can help to reduce your risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes by up to 30%!
- Keeps Your Brain Healthy – This is one of the best arguments for drinking wine: it keeps your brain working properly. Non-drinkers tend to suffer from a much faster rate of brain function decline than those that drink in moderation, so bottoms up for your brain’s sake!
- Increase Your Lifespan – Did you know that people that drink red wine regularly have a 34% lower mortality rate than the average beer-guzzler or Scotch drinker?!
Let me be very clear: Red Wine is healthy when drunk in moderation. Just one glass of wine per day will give you the health benefits above, but more will have the opposite of the desired effect. With that glass of red wine, you’ll give your body the boosts it needs to work better!
Now excuse me, I haven’t had my glass as yet today!